If you’re seeking a few new ideas for the summer season, I’ve created a juice, breakfast, a ‘feast’ and salad idea to spark your inspiration (and appetite)!
The Juice: When the weather gets hot and humid, I often feel foggy-headed and a bit ‘meh’ This juice is hydrating and full of protein and minerals to bring back some va va voom:
- 3 cups spinach (kale and chard would also work)
- 1 pear
- 2 cups broccoli (florets and stalks)
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
*Juice everything except the coco water and chia seeds — stir them in at the end and drink away!
The Feast: You’re super hungry, or have a group of super hungry people at your dinner table. Here’s a dish all about wholesome abundance. Serves 4 nom nom nom!
3 Bean Chilli with guacamole
- 200g pinto beans, 100g black beans & 100g cannellini beans (tinned beans are so much easier than dried — no soaking required!)
- 1 large onion
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp paprika
*Heat a tablespoon of oil and cook the onion and garlic until lightly browned. Add the carrot, celery and peppers to soften and finally, add the beans, tomatoes, chilli, paprika — simmer gently for 30 mins and serve with the guacamole. (If you need extra carbs add some brown rice or flatbreads to the table)
The Guacamole — cut ingredients bigger for a chunky salad style side dish, or mush together for smoother sauce to ‘dollop’
- 4 avocados, sliced or cubed
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
- handful of coriander
- Juice of 1 lemon
*mix all the indredients together in bowl, serve alongside the chilli
The Salad: when you are feeling hungry; your salad needs to be filling, tasty and simple to keep you from grabbing trashy snacks!
- 2 generous handfuls of cabbage — red, white, or both
- 1 generous handful of coriander
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- Some slices of red onion (depending on how much you like onion)
- Handful of raw or toasted cashew nuts (peanuts or pisachios also work)
*Toss together your salad ingredients and for a dressing stir together 1 tsp tahini, 1 tsp lemon or lime juice, 1 tsp nut butter, a pinch of chilli flakes and a splash of water if needed.
The Breakfast: You don’t want to be dealing with cooking when its hot, this makes overnight oats perfect for a cool and calm breakfast!
- 60g Oats — (I like Flahavan’s organic oats)
- 240ml milk of your choice — almond, rice, soy, dairy
- 2 tbsp Chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon and/or vanilla
*Mix all the ingredients together and leave in a bowl in the fridge overnight, in the morning; take the bowl out of the fridge and add a splash of extra milk if needed. Top with a handful of berries, nuts or a banana and a drizzle of agave nectar :)
Happy Summer Feasting! xxx